Chess Training and Lessons
We provide the following chess services from beginners to Intermediate players (up to 1800 USCF)
- One to One Chess Lessons.
- Group Chess Lessons.
- Training Sessions (Tactics, Strategy, Endgames)
- Chess Club Group Lessons.
- Coaching on site during major competitions such as Nationals or State Championships.
- Opening Chess Training
- Practice games before tournament play + game analysis.
Jad Helmy, Central Florida Class Champion (Peak 1617 USCF)
James Wnek, 1150 to 1785 in 3 years
2014 Southern Class D Champion 2016,Central FLCC,ClassB Co-Champion.
Jarrod Harris, ANNUAL SOUTHERN CONGRESS Champion Under 1430 (Peak 1475)
Miguel Ararat, MS, MPharm
FIDE Instructor (2018)
Miguel is from Colombia, South America, where he completed a bachelor degree in biology and chemistry and postgraduates studies in basic medical science and pharmacology. Miguel visited the U.S as a research scholar at the UF McKnight Brain Institute where he was part of the team that discovered the neuronal origin of the Human Embryonic Kidney (HEK) 293 cell line. Gainesville was a good fit for Miguel and he decided to return to UF and to pursue a master’s degree and to play with the Gators Men Volleyball club as an outside hitter (2006) and defense specialist (2007). Later, Miguel Joined the Liver Unit at UF as a biological scientist to study the immunopathogenesis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) with Dr. Roniel Cabrera as a mentor. Under Dr. Cabrera guidance Miguel developed his passion for immunology and discovered the inmunosupressive properties of soluble portion of the IL-2 receptor (sCD25) and its influence on Treg function as well as the enhanced suppressive capabilities of HCC Tregs. When completing a master’s program in Pharmacy at UF, Miguel discovered the immunomodulatory properties of the drug sorafenib on T CD4 and Treg cells.
The studies at the Liver Unit on Tregs and sorafenib open the door to a cooperation with the Brusko’s lab. Miguel has formally joined the Brusko’s team to use pharmacology and basic immunology to immunomodulate Treg in the context of T1D. After 1 year at the Brusko Lab Miguel will take some time off to prepare his application to the International Chess Federation (FIDE) to advance from National Instructor to FIDE Instructor.
Delta Epsilon Iota Academic Honor Society, Life Member, 2007
International Chess Federation, National Chess Instructor, 2013
United States Chess Federation, Advance Level III Chess Coach, 2012
Florida Chess Association Board Member (until 2016) and National Delegate, Orlando, Florida, 2015
United States Chess Federation, Local Chess Tournament Director, 2015
Santiago de Cali University, Outstanding Alumni, Cali, Colombia, 2002
Incomex, Outstanding Scientist, Cali, Colombia, 2003
- Chess as a tool to help the development of young and aging brains.
- Unbiased review of chess books and chess training tools to help chess enthusiast to improve at the game. Currently, all major chess producing companies send me books and software to be reviewed at this website or the Florida Chess Association Magazine.
- Practical applications of chess strategy and tactics to college level volleyball.
- Integrated Metabolomic Profiling of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Hepatitis C Cirrhosis Through Gc/Ms and Uplc/Ms-Ms. Liver International. 34:1428-1444. 2014-10-01
- Immune Modulation of Effector Cd4+ and Regulatory T Cell Function By Sorafenib in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy. 62:737-746. 2013-04-01
- Serum Levels of Soluble Cd25 as a Marker for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Oncology Letters. 4:840-846. 2012-10-01
- Influence of Serum and Soluble Cd25 (Scd25) On Regulatory and Effector T-Cell Function in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology. 72:293-301. 2010-10-01
- Hepatocellular carcinoma immunopathogenesis: clinical evidence for global T cell defects and an immunomodulatory role for soluble CD25 (sCD25).. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 55:484-495. 2010-02-01
- Influence of serum and soluble CD25 (sCD25) on regulatory and effector T-cell function in hepatocellular carcinoma.. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology. 72. 2010
- Using An Immune Functional Assay To Differentiate Acute Cellular Rejection From Recurrent Hepatitis C in Liver Transplant Patients. Liver Transplantation. 15:216-222. 2009-02-01
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma Is Associated With An Impaired Cd4 T Cell Immune Response. Journal of Hepatology. 48:S140. 2008-01-01
- Preferential transformation of human neuronal cells by human adenoviruses and the origin of HEK 293 cells.. Faseb Journal. 16. 2002